Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Make sure you mind your brain


I think most of you have heard the expression “a mind is a terrible thing to waste.” It was actually a phrase used by a college to encourage donations for student scholarships. But, it is absolutely true as a general statement.

Our brains are one of the most important of our body organs. Its size and complexity is what separates us from lower forms of life. It also is one of the most fragile of our organs, fortunately protected by our skulls, or at least partially protected by our skulls.

The same skulls can damage the brain if external force is applied, as in automobile accidents, for example, so that the skull is fractured and a piece of the broken bone pierces the brain.

Let’s talk a little about two aspects of brain wasting.

The first is brain damage caused by our lifestyles and daily activities. I have discussed motorcycle riding without a helmet and angered enough people about that, so I won’t say much more about it.

Let me really go out on a limb and anger everyone else, especially Texans. Let me talk about an activity that is becoming more and more understood as a frequent cause of brain injury. An activity that is so ingrained in our daily lives that to even read these words will cause some to burn this paper.

You got it — football.

We are learning more and more about seemingly harmless trauma that can cause significant brain damage, and for it to happen again and again is just asking for trouble.

Besides concussions, do you want to talk about knee, ankle, shoulder, arms, legs and spine injuries? Same song, second verse.

I admit I have a personal interest in this. His name is Daniel, and he is my grandson. He is about to be 12 years old and he competes on the gridiron with others his age. It is amazing how 11-year-old boys can be so different in size and shape.

He is not the biggest on the team, but he is the toughest. His coach is an ex-NFL player. His father is the assistant coach. His mother and I are scared every time he tackles someone when he is a linebacker and is tackled by someone when he plays offensive backfield.

Every time I bring up the subject of perhaps reducing his football experience, I become the Grinch who stole football. He and his father explain to me, usually in very nice terms, to mind my own business. They say I forget when I was young. Sometimes they tell me it is too bad I was born before football was invented.

That brings us to the second type of brain wasting. Right again. I am talking about senile dementia or Alzheimer’s. There is increasing research in the prevention and treatment for this age-old problem of old age.

Once you or some member of your family begins to notice changes in your memory, you should take action to get medical help. There is no cure yet, but there are ways to slow down or otherwise deal with the disease.

Keep your brain working. My wife plays bridge and she is sure it is helping her memory. I believe she is right. I have noticed that I have difficulty remembering what football games are on which night. I need to do something about that.

Dr. Michael M. Warren is Ashbel Smith professor of surgery at University of Texas Medical Branch Division of Urology. Write him at michael.warren(at)galvnews.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment