Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thinking about it

If you are amazed at the number of memory tracts that your computer holds, let me enlighten you on the number of memory tracts that are in the human brain. In his book, “Soul Healing,” Dr. Bruce Goldberg relates, “Everything that we can detect through our five senses… is permanently stored in the subconscious mind’s memory bank and functions at least 16 hours per day. One million pieces of information are stored each day. Scientists estimate that the average human mind contains 70 trillion memory tracts.”
For your brain to function optimally, it needs oxygen, which is supplied by a healthy heart and lungs which receive oxygen supply by participating in some form of exercise at least a half hour daily each week. Water is also necessary to prevent dehydration, which is supplied by drinking at least four glasses of water daily. The brain also needs essential nutrients in the form of omega 3 fatty acids found in dark, leafy greens, cold water fish such as salmon, sardines, mackerel and tuna.
To keep the brain healthy, it needs a good source of amino acids, which are found in poultry, egg whites, lean meats, grains and legumes. To prevent damage and to repair the brain cells, a host of vitamins and minerals are required which can to found in organic plant foods. The brain also needs an adequate amount of glucose, derived from complex forms found in fresh fruit, whole grains and vegetables.
To illustrate the need for proper nutrition as we all age, I would like you to enjoy the following story:
Two elderly folks were sitting in their living room enjoying television. The gentleman rose from his seat and told his wife that he was going into the kitchen to get some ice cream and would she like to have some? She replied, “That would be nice.” As he got to the kitchen door, he asked his wife whether she would like some chocolate syrup on the ice cream. Again, she gave a positive reply. She then told him that he should write her request down due to his forgetfulness. After several minutes, he returned with a plate of scrambled eggs. She looked at him and said, “I told you that you should have written it down. You forget the bacon.”
Speaking of forgetfulness, I would like to close with a wonderful poem written by my wonderful patient, Oliver Manning, who always maintained his memory right to the end. He is no longer with us:
All Mixed Up
Just a line to say I’m living
That I’m not among the dead
Tho, I’m getting more forgetful
And more mixed up in my head.
For, sometimes I can’t remember
When I stand at the foot of the stairs
If I must go up for something
Or, I’ve just come down from there.
And before the fridge, so often
My mind is filled with doubt
Have I just put food away or,
Have I come to take some out?

And there are time when it is dark out
With my nightcap on my head
I don’t know if I’m retiring
Or just getting out of bed..

So, if it’s my turn to write you
There is no need of getting sore
I may think that I have written
And don’t want to be a bore.

So remember, I do love you
And I wish that you were here
But now, it’s nearly mail time,
So, I must say “goodbye my dear.”

There I stood beside the mailbox
With a face so very red
Instead of mailing you my letter
I opened it instead.

It also appears that laughter reduces stress and also improves the memory. So I suggest that you laugh often, even if there is nothing to laugh about.
In closing, keep in mind the United Negro College Fund slogan: “A mind is a terrible thing to waste.”

No comments:

Post a Comment